Washington State Department of Social and Health Services

Emergency Cash Assistance

If your family has an emergency and you need a one-time cash payment to get or keep safe housing or utilities, you may be eligible for the Additional Requirements for Emergent Needs (AREN) or the Diversion Program.

Families may be eligible when they:

  • Have an emergent need to get or keep housing or utilities (See AREN Emergency Needs Table);
  • Are eligible for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), State Family Assistance (SFA), or Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA);
  • Have good reason that they don’t have enough money to pay the housing or utility costs; and
  • Haven’t received the maximum AREN payment ($750), as an adult, in the last 12-month period.

For more information, see website.


418 S Main Street, Colfax, WA 99111

  • Cash Assistance
  • Counties Served
  • Whitman County
  • Ages Served
  • All Ages
  • Populations Served
  • Families
  • General Population