The Washington Poison Center is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization serving the citizens of Washington state since 1956. Our specialists in poison information answer more than 138,000 calls a year from Washingtonians related to poisoning and toxic exposures. We are always here to help, 24/7/365.
As one of 55 poison centers nationwide, the Washington Poison Center is the public health safety net for poisoning and toxic exposures in Washington state. Our unique wraparound care model follows patients from initial call to resolution, with a dedicated expert level team of certified specialists in poison information checking in every step of the way.
The Washington Poison Center serves as a resource for public policy makers and public health leaders in forecasting emerging public health trends. Our medical staff is regularly called upon to present toxic trends and best practices in treatment to medical professionals throughout Washington state.
In addition to being the home of Mr. Yuk, The Washington Poison Center offers a wide variety of programs aimed at preventing harm from poisoning through expertise, collaboration, clinical and public health education. Our current programs include:
- Training of community health educators on poison prevention, medication safety,
e-cigarettes and more.
- Support for Public Health and Emergency Preparedness operations at the local, state and federal level.
- Clinical rotations for medical residents, fellows, pharmacists, nurses, and paramedic students.
- Management of Take Back Your Medicine website.
- Public Health Education at health fairs, community events and activities.
- School assembly presentations and parent trainings.
The Washington Poison Center (WAPC) provides immediate, free, and expert treatment advice and assistance on the telephone in case of exposure to poisonous, hazardous, or toxic substances. All calls are confidential.
OUR MISSION: To prevent and reduce harm from poisoning through expertise, collaboration, and education.